Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year




When you believe in things
That you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition aint the way


New Year's Day. Which means that I am once again called upon to perform the annual rite of visiting my aunt's house for the first walk through of the new year. My aunt believes that it is good luck for the first visitor on New Year's Day to be male and that conversely a female visitor would bring catastrophic bad luck. Don't know the origin of this superstition and cannot vouch for its effectiveness but I do it anyway despite the usual complaints. Suffice it to say, later on in the day I will eat Hoppin' John Soup - black eyed peas, collard greens, ham, rice - yet another tradition that supposedly represents good luck. Of course, I can rationalize this because the dish tastes good. Happy New Year!

No comments:

About Me

Alexandria, VA, United States
'To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle." - George Orwell