Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pride of Country

Cindy McCain, the demure wife of the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, declared her unqualified love of country the other day in Wisconsin. "I'm proud of my country. I don't know about you - if you heard those words earlier - I'm very proud of my country." Those earlier words belonged to Michelle Obama who told an audience: "For the first time in my adult lifetime I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change." Nobody should be surprised that a political candidate or his surrogate would seize upon an innocuous remark and try to exploit it for political advantage. And, of course, the Republican party is remakably adept at using this little maneuver on matters of God and patriotism. For those whose historical narrative and experience is decidedly different from Mrs. McCain, Mrs. Obama's words have special resonance that cannot be denied or used as campaign fodder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very well said!

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Anonymous said...

Demure Ms. McCain's comments gives "Pride and Prejudice" a whole new meaning!

About Me

Alexandria, VA, United States
'To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle." - George Orwell